- St Andrews University: MA Joint Hons. in History and Management, 1st
- Sevenoaks School: International Baccalaureate (44/45): High Level: Economics, History German. Low Level: Physics, Mathematics, English
BIOGRAPHY & INTERESTS
An Englishman born in Austria, Laurence grew up in tropical Costa Rica till he was 15, then went to boarding school at Sevenoaks to do the IB (achieving 42/45). He went on to study at St Andrews University, graduating with a First Class MA Joint Honours in History and Management, also taking time to dabble in the Army and in television. He starred in BBC3’s World’s Toughest Jobs, earning him the flattering title, ‘King of the Cows’ as the only participant not to get fired following hard work as a cowboy in Australia. His work experience is equally colourful, peppered with entrepreneurialism - beyond television, he’s worked for the International Chamber of Commerce, helped start a luxury real estate company in Spain, worked at the Vatican, taught Critical Thinking at Dulwich College, and launched a highly successful crêperie at university with his bestie. He has left high-profile venture capital firm Rocket Internet in order to focus on his own startup (Survivor), going back to tutoring as fulfilling way of making ends meet.
EXPERIENCE & APPROACH
* Critical Thinking teacher at Dulwich College (Global Young Leaders Programme), Summer 2017
* Bespoke programmes - made for a delegation sent by the Sheikh of Abu Dhabi, teaching Art History, History, Etiquette, topics in Management, Economics
* Jain & Allen Consulting: Tutoring in person, over Skype, and in groups - Essay writing; Economics (IB Level); History; English; Spanish; German; Maths (GCSE); Management; Theology
* Ghost writing (Le Rosey School students) – History, English, Economics, Spanish, French
* Freelance – professional editing, CV workshops, cover letter, personal statement, etc., editing academic and institutional papers, incl. Prof. Dr. Birte W assenberg (Sciences Po); Karl-Heinz Lambertz, Belgian politician/EU parliamentarian; EURO Institut; International Chamber of Commerce, and various others.
A key concern is making each subject exciting and approachable, weaving a narrative and purpose into every learning objective, which makes it both interesting to the student, and relatable to other topics the student will encounter.